Saturday, June 19, 2010

No way to sum it up, but I'm back!

It has been a while, I know. Life has been hectic these past few months, and blogging has seemed the silliest way to document all of life's changes. But since I religiously read the blogs of close friends, I figure it must not be so narcissistic. Or maybe it is, but we're all ok with it.



I finished this second year of teaching and was actually sad to see my kiddos go. I feel like I really improved and became a much more professional educator. I wish I could post pictures of the cuties but with weirdos on the internet, I'd rather not. Suffice it to say I had the most precious class of 8 and 9 year olds.

The team I had the privilege of working with was AMAZING. Together, we went to Belize over spring break to work in a school. Our students had been collecting books and school supplies all year, and in lieu of shipping the items, we decided to go! I'm so very thankful for a group of teachers that stepped out of the boat together and decided to make a very meaningful impact. Needless to say, the experience was priceless for us and incredibly important for our kids. It helped them realize that taking action was possible, and didn't just mean donating money. We had really supportive parents and administration, and are even partnering with the school in Belize to continue this relationship.
(We got to read to some of the students during their break, a cutie was completely willing to oblige to our paparazzi-style of photography, we climbed some incredibly Mayan ruins, we met a new friend, Dubsy, who is literally carrying 6 iguanas. No lie.)

*********

Like I said, life has been hectic and the Lord is so faithful. These verses can really sum up the past few months for me:
I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD|
in the land of the living.

Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

Psalm 27:13, 14



I love the LORD, for he heard my voice;
he heard my cry for mercy.

Because he turned his ear to me,
I will call on him as long as I live.

Psalm 116:1-2

and

For you, O LORD, have delivered my soul from death,
my eyes from tears,
my feet from stumbling,

that I may walk before the LORD
in the land of the living.

Psalm 116:8-9

I am astounded by the works He has done and hopeful for what He will do. One of the most meaningful books I've read recently is Better Than My Dreams by Paula Rinehart. I highly recommend it...but have a highlighter handy. It's a quotable book.

********

Joel and I are looking forward to a couple of months off. We love our jobs, sometimes specifically because of our vacation! So here's to a much-needed rest and reconnection.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

def just cried. Love you. Love your faith and I look up to and admire and hope I contain even an ounce of your strength. Dinner soon?!

meredith* said...

i'm glad you're back :)