Monday, June 09, 2008

Tomorrow is the last day of school.

What a wonderful experience. I love this class...today we just laughed a lot. The parents came and we had a play, a slide show, poetry (written by the kids) and ice cream.

Some of the parents couldn't make it, and their kids were sad. I tried to spend a lot of time with them, but when you're 6 it's hard to understand. I think it ended up ok. I asked them later if they had fun, and they said they did with big smiles.

One child has been acting really defiant and disrespectful lately. There's really no other way to put it. I realized his parents are separated. Their family is being torn apart.

Sometimes I think it must be hard to be 6 and 7 and not fully understand the lives of your parents and what they are doing. And it makes me realize that what we do as adults has a huge effect on children.


I wish I could have given these kids more. I wonder if I will feel this way with all my classes. I hope so. Although this class is extremely special to me, I hope that I feel the same genuine affection for all the kids that come into my classroom in the future.


I wanted to give them so much more. They weren't even "my" kids. I was just another assistant in this classroom. I wrote them short notes that I'll put in their mailboxes tomorrow. I didn't know what else to do. I hope that I gave them some useful tools and a lot of love. I guess that's really all I can do.

In about 2 months, I will be setting up my very own classroom under a new name. I still don't know what I grade I will be teaching. But the Lord placed me in this wonderful room, and I'm sure He'll place me exactly where I need to be.

No comments: