Thursday, January 08, 2009

Again with the no pictures.

Tomorrow is FRIDAY and I am certainly ready. This week has been difficult to transition back to work. I've felt extremely run down this week, and I'm not entirely sure why.

Words Their Way, the new phonics and word patterns program I started this week, is going really well. The groups have been working well together, they are learning how to think critically about words. I have found some weaknesses they have and I feel like I'm better able to tailor my instruction because of this. So I'm really excited about this!

Kim, my mentor throughout high school and college, just had a little boy! I am going to visit them tomorrow after school. I will take a picture tomorrow, promise :)

Tonight I made fry bread.
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 cups oil for frying, or as needed

  1. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk, and mix until the dough comes together. Add more flour if necessary to be able to handle the dough. On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, at least 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
  2. Heat oil in a large, deep heavy skillet to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C). Oil should be about 1 1/2 inches deep. Break off 3/4 cup sized pieces of dough, and shape into round discs 1/4 inch in thickness, making a thinner depressed area in the center. Fry breads in the hot oil until golden on both sides, turning only once. Drain on paper towels.
It turned out really well. It cooks really fast so you have to watch it.

I sprinkled sugar, cinnamon, and honey on them and cut them into triangles. There are some guys over hanging out with Joel, and all the bread is gone! Well, almost. I saved a few pieces for myself :)

No comments: