Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

Since I'm now teaching about MLK, it really hits me more. I've been astounded at how much he accomplished, and I'm really excited about this week of historic things and all the good learning/teaching that will occur!



On Saturday night, we saw Slumdog Millionaire with Will and Christine. It may have been my favorite movie I've seen in about a year. I highly recommend it!




















Last night, I made doughnut holes, per the request of Joel.
They turned out really well. And I'm trying to upload a photo of them, but my computer has some dumb viruses and nothing will upload. But here's the recipe:
  • 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • OR 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
  1. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). I just use a really heavy skillet and a frying thermometer.
  2. In a large bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, mace and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Create a well in the center of the mixture, and pour in milk, canola oil and egg. Thoroughly stir into the mixture.
  3. In batches, drop the mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls into the hot oil. Fry on all sides, 2 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
  4. In a resealable plastic bag, mix 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. While still warm, place balls a few at a time into the bag, and toss to coat. (I used powdered sugar instead for most of them.)
Not exactly the healthiest thing in the world, but worth it :)

No comments: